Tuesday 1 February 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Favourite Debuts

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and The Bookish where we share our top ten of a particular topic. I haven't participated for a while but I'm joining in the fun again now :)

This week's topic is: Favourite Debuts

Most of the books I read up until 2 years ago weren't debuts but here are some I've read since then and loved!

In no particular order:


The Declaration by Gemma Malley

This one introduced me to the dystopian genre and was really well written with a very believable world spun. I'm currently reading the third and final book in the series, The Legacy.







Anne Of Green Gables by LM Montgomery

I love Anne and her world in Avonlea, it's just so comforting to read like returning to an old friend. I still think this is Montgomery's best book.




Matched by Allie Condie

When I read Matched in December, I thought it was amazing! The writing was just so beautiful and I was really able to empathise with the characters. I was completely consumed in it. I can't wait to read the sequel Crossed when it's released and any other books by Condie.


Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

The four March sister's story is wonderfully heart warming and every young girl should read it! It really puts a smile on my face.



The Healer's Apprentice by Melanie Dickerson

This loose fairy tale retelling of Sleeping Beauty had such a sweet and touching romance but it is Melanie Dickerson's masterful writing and way of spinning the story that makes this one stand out for me. I adored it!


The Queen's Daughter by Susan Coventry

Susan Coventry's historical description is fantastic and I really enjoyed it as I was able to get into the heads of the characters really well.


The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale

I love Shannon Hale's incredible lyrical and descriptive writing and The Goose Girl's story is beautiful.



Between Two Seas by Marie Louise Jensen

Marie Louise Jensen is one of my favourite authors and I really liked the unusual Danish setting for this one.




Heidi by Johanna Spyri

I featured Heidi in my Wonderful Wednesday's post last week and it's such a charming story that has became a beloved classic.



Girl Missing by Sophie Mckenzie

This one is really fast paced and thrilling with lots of action accompanied by brilliant suspenseful writing!

What are your favourite debuts?

4 comments:

  1. I think this is the most eclectic list I've seen so far. Great books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! Little Women is one of my favorites.

    Reading Lark's Top 10

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice list. I agree, reading (and re-reading) Anne is exactly like visiting an old friend.

    I have The Declaration on my TBR. Legacy actually caught my eye first and it was sitting on my TBR for months before I realized it was the third book in a trilogy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments!

    Annette- haha, it is pretty eclectic!

    Andrea- I'm glad to hear that :) I'll be off to check out your top ten after writing this comment.

    Small Review- LOL- it doesn't really make it clear on goodreads. You should put The Decleration near the top of your TBR list, I think you'd like it :D

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, they make me smile! So thank you for taking the time to write one, I read all of them.
I try my best to reply here or on your blog :)

Stephanie x