Sunday 27 June 2010

A Bookalicious Life- the tale of a young teenage book lover and a treasure trove of books

For the benefit of my lovely new followers over from the Book Hop, I'm going to tell you about my love of reading and how it started!
My mum read to me a lot when I was a baby and toddler, which started off my love of reading. Ever since then,books have been a part of my life and I was soon reading above my age level at school (which is probably why I like reading books aimed at an older audience now.)
When I was about 7 or 8 I started to read some of my Mum's old Enid Blyton books and I was soon in love with her books and short stories. Then, my Mum found a second hand bookshop called The Cottage Bookshop in Penn, Buckinghamshire that is literally a treasure trove like an Aladdin's cave of books. They had a whole section that was crammed full of Enid Blyton books with one bookshelf that had at least 3 layers of books. The old building was a fantastic place to explore with the creaking stairs and rooms filled with bookshelves and books piled up on the floor, it's like a book lover's heaven with every kind of book you could want.  I went their regularly and always came back with a fresh new pile of lot of bargain books to read, some of them being very old and (now I realise), valuable.
Once I had a collection of about 100 Enid Blyton books in my bedroom and several
other                                                    old fashioned and classic children's writers, I began to get interested in historical fiction books such as the ones by Mary Hooper and that is still my favourite genre today.                                                                                           
I got the idea to start a book blog of my own when I was looking for new books to read on the Internet and came across several. A few years ago, I filled several exercise books  with creative book reviews (with flaps, drawings ect.) and I've been wanting to record the books that I have been reading for a while so I thought blogging would be a fun way to do it, which turned out to be truer than I thought!


I cannot imagine living without reading now- even if I don't have as much time to do it as I used to because of other hobbies- and my collection of books is rapidly growing (I have run out of room from bookcases in  my room!)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, they make me smile! So thank you for taking the time to write one, I read all of them.
I try my best to reply here or on your blog :)

Stephanie x