Thursday 30 September 2010

Book Review: Deeper Than Blue by Jill Hucklesby

Blurb:

Meet Amy. She thinks that being thirteen and the fastest freestyle swimmer in the county is cool. She thinks that best friends will always be there no matter what, She believes that strawberry smoothies are the closest thing to heaven.

When her life takes a dramatuc tumble turn one day, Amy doesn't know what to think or believe any longer. To survive she must swim as she has never swum before. Can she make her dreams come true in a world where the water is deeper than blue?

My review and thoughts

Amy is a champion swimmer who has just broken the 800 metre freestyle record for her county but when a terrible accident happens and she loses her best friend and a leg, her life takes a turn for the worst. Deeper Than Blue tells Amy's story through her eyes after the accident to coming to terms with what has happened and realising that she can still fulfill her dreams. The writing style was easy and natural because it was told from Amy's point of view as well as being humorous at times which lightened the heavy and more serious plot of the story. Being the same age as Amy, I could really relate to her feelings, especially about her best friend because my really close friend moved to Australia and we don't get to talk as often as we'd like.
I liked the character of Harry because he always makes her laugh whilst she is in hospital and gradually changes her way of thinking, their emails are quite amusing too!
I think that there is someone that everyone can relate to in the book whether it be Amy, Harry, her older sister Caz going through the normal teenage girl problems, her Dad who gets depressed for a while or her mum who gave up her dreams of becoming an artist to have her family.
Each character went on a journey throughout the book and I loved finding out what happened to them in the end and how they changed. All of this combined kept me turning the pages very quickly!

Verdict: Deeper Than Blue is a highly emotional but inspiring and easy to relate to book that I would reccomend to anyone of any age, its story would appeal to everyone. It would make a marvellous movie!

6 comments:

  1. As a swimmer, I can honestly say this book would be really poignant to me. Thanks for pointing it out, and excellent review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I have an award for you! You can pick it up at my blog: http://booklovingmommy.blogspot.com/2010/09/versatile-blog-award.html

    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review, I haven't seen this one around before, but it looks really good. I'll have to read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely review. This is a new title for me and I think it sounds like a perfect book for my middle school kids (and me) thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't heard of this one before but I'll have to keep my eyes open for it. It does sound very interesting! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us!
    I'm visiting from Saturday Situation, thanks for linking with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous05:59:00

    Hi I read this book and loved it also when I scrolled to the bottom of the page I had read all the " you might also like " books. I share your views on books!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, they make me smile! So thank you for taking the time to write one, I read all of them.
I try my best to reply here or on your blog :)

Stephanie x