Tuesday 1 March 2011

New Feature: Super Snippets (1)


Recently I've seen quite a few quotes that I love in books so I thought it would be a nice idea to start a new feature here sharing and commenting on all of my favourite passages or 'snippets' from the books that I have been reading/reviewing recently and so Super Snippets was born. I hope that the snippets from the books that I share will whet your appetite for more and give you a better taster of the book so you can decide whether you would like to read it or not. Any suggestions for the feature would be welcomed!

Note: Credit goes to MizB of Should Be Reading for inspiration from her Teaser Tuesday meme, where one sentence from your current read is shared.

This week's snippets come from Frederica by Georgette Heyer, which I reviewed yesterday. The last three I have chosen are all from The Marquis of Alverstoke, because some of the things he says are so funny:

'From her shining head of golden curls to her little arched feet, neatly shod in kid boots, she presented a picture to take any man's breath away..... and her eyes, which gazed innocently upon the world were of a heavenly blue and held the hint of a wistful smile.'

This is a description of the main character Frederica's beautiful sister Charis who is debuting in her first society season thanks to the sponsorship of Lord Alverstoke.  The description makes her sound angel-like to a humorous note. From this, I can definitely see why so many men would fall for her looks as Heyer has made them seem close to perfection. The descriptions of the characters are not like that all the way through the book though as that would be rather annoying so don't let it put you off.

"[...]my memory is reasonably good—unlike yours, dear sir!”
“Mine is erratic,” he said imperturbably. “I remember only what interests me."
 
"Do you forget that I am your sister?”
“No; I’ve never been granted the opportunity to forget it."
 
"Do you mean to tell me that Mr. Trevor read my letter?” demanded Lady Buxted indignantly. “Your secretary?”
“I employ him to read my letters,” explained his lordship.(Alverstroke)
“Not those written by your nearest and dearest!”
“Oh, no, not them!” he agreed."


The last two snippets come from the beginning chapters of the book, where one of Alverstoke's sisters is trying to persuade him to hold a coming out ball at this house for his niece's first London season. You can just imagine her face when he says this! I think that they are great examples of the sparkling wit in Georgette Heyer novels that is harder to find in other regency romance novels.
 

1 comment:

  1. hi, new follower! love the blog and cant wait to read more! follow me?!

    http://lindsaycummingsblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, they make me smile! So thank you for taking the time to write one, I read all of them.
I try my best to reply here or on your blog :)

Stephanie x