Sunday 5 September 2010

Tour of my bookshelves!

Previously I wrote a post called Bookshelf Love featuring bookshelves with interesting designs and how our shelves can sometimes reflect aspects of our personality. So I thought that I would give you a photo tour of my bookshelves so you can see what books I own and what they show about me in how they look/are organised.

Some of my books are organised in the different reading stages I've gone through and what age I was when I brought the book and I also like to try and keep series books and books by the same author together but this is not always the case

This is the bookcase that I first had when I started to buy a lot of books and read independently a lot more than I used to.





This photo is of part of my collection of Enid Blyton (the second row of books behind on the top shelf) , most of which I purchased in a second- hand store but a few were copies passed onto me from my parents. There are also more on the second shelf and altogether, I have about 100 Enid Bytons that are very special to me- I would never sell them!

This is a section from my most recent bookshelf, which is above the first. I don't know what did without it! At the bottom are all books that I have read/am going to read this year, with my Georgette Heyers and various library books. On the top shelf, which is not in the photo, there are all of Mary Hooper's historical fiction books (signed!) and about 20 Chalet School ( Elinor. M. Brent Dyer) titles.

Although many of the books I read are from the library, this bookshelf will fill up soon too but thankfully, my family are building a guest room with lots of bookshelf space planned.








These bookshelves are above my desk and computer and are right in the middle of the room if you are looking in from the door. On the bottom shelf is the rest of my extensive collection of Chalet School books along with rare hardback editions of Angela Brazil's school stories, some of them were first published in 1915!. On the top shelf, there is a mix of books, with a box set of the My Story Diaries. 




What are your bookshelves like?

8 comments:

  1. Awesome post! I love seeing other people's bookshelves. Well, the shelves I currently have are already filled, so I pile them on every empty space I can find, leading to a very messy bedroom. I dream of having a wall-to-wall, floor-to-celing bookshelf one day.

    So glad to hear you are an Enid Blyton fan! I collect her books to this day. They bring back fond memories. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you've got a lot of older books there! 100 Enid Blytons?? Awesome. I don't think I ever had my own copies of those but I'm pretty sure I read several in the Famous Five series and quite enjoyed them.

    I have four bookcases of varying sizes (one in my closet since there isn't enough space in the rest of my room, lol). Right now my books are divided into favorites (that's a couple shelves), series (Harry Potter, Meg Cabot, Tamora Pierce, L.M. Montgomery), paperbacks I've read but they're not favorites, hardcovers, historical fiction paperbacks, and books I mean to read but haven't yet (those are the ones in my closet). It's kind of a random ordering scheme but it seems to work well enough!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea, I might do something like this on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Enid Blyton. I have about 50 of her books in the loft in my parents house, you've made me want to get them out and display them!

    What were your favourite Enid Blyton's? Mine was always the Famous Five.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love bookshelf posts! I did a post like this a while ago, here it is if you want to see my shelves: http://rebeccasbookblog.blogspot.com/2010/01/my-bookshelves.html you can't see a lot of my books though because I stacked MORE books in front of them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, just wanted to add - do you have the Naughtiest Girl in School series by Enid Blyton? Those were some of my mom's favorites and I loved them too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for all your lovely comments, sorry it took me a while to get back!

    Elle, I would deinfitely love to have a floor to celing, wall to wall bookcase too. That would be amazing!

    Danya- your bookshelves actually sound quite organised, I need to put mine into groups more. It's actually quite strange that the Famous Five books are the one EB series that I haven't read all the books in, I enjoyed them but I only read about 7 out of the 20 or so books. Yes, I do have The Naughtiest Girl series, I love them too :) I think that there are several sequels that have been written now too.

    Sam- Oooh, I can't choose my favourite Enid Blytons, that would be nearly impossible! Although I especially like all the boarding school series and when I was younger, I loved The Faraway Tree

    Rebecca- I had a look at your bookshelf post, I like all the ornnaments on your shelves! I think that in a couple of years I will have stacked books too!

    All this talk about Enid Blyton has made me want to read all her books agaim!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mine are very cluttered and full. I have pictures on there and my downstairs is half full of toys

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, they make me smile! So thank you for taking the time to write one, I read all of them.
I try my best to reply here or on your blog :)

Stephanie x