Tuesday 16 November 2010

Late Rememberence Day Special: War themed books for teenagers

I thought that as a few days ago it waswas Remembrance Sunday I would take this special time to feature some of my favourite books set during a war time that are aimed at children, teenagers and young adults (with a couple of exceptions.) All links go to Goodreads.

Centering around soldiers
The Shell House by Linda Newbury

Jewish Holocaust and Nazis

Hitler Stole My Pink Rabbit series (The Other Way Around, A Small Person Far Away) by Judith Kerr
Rena's Promise by Rena Kornreich (adult autobiography)

Set in war and about the character's experiences of it

Party Shoes by Noel Streatfield
Standing in the Shadows by Jennie Walters (part of the Swallowclife Hall series)Josie Under Fire by Ann Turnball


This is only from books I have read, nearly all from WW1 or WW2 and set in Britain. If you have any other suggestions, I'd would love it if you shared them in the comments!




3 comments:

  1. Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit is such an amazing book. I read it when I was about 13 and still love it. I never actually read the rest of the series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know there were sequels to When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit! I think I read that one in Grade 7 or so...I shall have to look them up!

    Another war era series is The Guests of War trilogy by Kit Pearson (The Sky is Falling, Looking at the Moon, The Lights Go On Again). I think I liked the first one the best and wasn't as impressed by the sequels, but from what I can remember it does give a good job of portraying life as a child war guest in Canada (the main characters are evacuated from Britain).

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG!!! When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit! I read that when I was really young and loved it but I never read the sequels! Will have to get on that.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, they make me smile! So thank you for taking the time to write one, I read all of them.
I try my best to reply here or on your blog :)

Stephanie x