Sunday 3 April 2011

Carnegie Medal Shortlist 2011 Announced!


On Friday, the 2011 Carnegie Medal Shortlist was announced and I thought I'd share it with you. The CILIP Carnegie Award the most prestigious British children's book award and it was established by in 1936, in memory of the great Scottish-born philanthropist, Andrew Carnegie (1835-1919).

 Last year my book club shadowed the award and won a competition to go to the awards cermony in London. Unfortunately, I wasn't a member then (don't ask why, I have no idea myself why I didn't go along before!) and it was actually the photos of the event that encouraged me to go along. This year, we had a mini competition to win an easter egg to guess what books off the longlist would make the shortlist and I forgot to hand my form in the day before but I did guess two right. Here are the books (information from the Carnegie website):

BRESLIN, THERESA PRISONER OF THE INQUISITION
BRESLIN, THERESA PRISONER OF THE INQUISITION

Zarita, only daughter of the town magistrate lives a life of ease. Saulo, son of a family reduced by circumstances to begging, swears vengeance, after witnessing his father wrongfully arrested and brutally killed. As the Spanish Inquisition arrives, bringing a climate of suspicion and acts of torture to the town, the fates of Zarita and Saulo intertwine, with tragic consequences.

An intriguing and well-achieved novel of impressive scope which brilliantly captures the atmosphere of 15th century Spain. Breslin combines great attention to detail and characterisation with some skilled plotting, and the twin stories of her main characters are well matched and insightful.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

McCAUGHREAN GERALDINE THE DEATH DEFYING PEPPER ROUXMcCAUGHREAN GERALDINE THE DEATH DEFYING PEPPER ROUX

Pepper Roux awakes on his fourteenth birthday; the day he has been told he must die. He doesn't want to disappoint, but he doesn't want to die either. So he goes on the run, setting sail on a sea of adventures, courting mayhem and disaster at every turn. Can he escape his fate – for a while at least?

A cleverly-constructed, tightly-plotted, picaresque novel that has something for everyone. Beautifully realised settings, refreshing and original characters, it is wise, thoughtful, funny and very different.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NESS, PATRICK MONSTERS OF MEN


NESS, PATRICK MONSTERS OF MEN

The third and final volume in the "Chaos Walking Trilogy" finds three armies marching on New Prentisstown, each intent on destroying the others. Todd and Viola are caught in the middle with no chance of escape or, it seems, of stopping the fighting. But then a third voice enters the fray, one bent on revenge.

An outstanding novel, involving huge ideas about life, death and love that really challenges the reader to think about big questions. The split narrative works extremely well, the style is highly distinctive, and the main characters are beautifully drawn.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


ROSOFF, MEG THE
BRIDE'S FAREWELLROSOFF, MEG THE BRIDE'S FAREWELL

On the morning of her wedding, Pell Ridley creeps out of bed in the dark, kisses her sisters goodbye and flees on horseback, determined to escape a future that offers nothing but hard work, and sorrow. The road ahead is rich with encounters that lead her closer to the untold story of her past. And she meets a hunter, whose fate also seems strangely entwined with her own.

A beautifully crafted novel with an exceptional heroine, whose strengths and weaknesses are very well captured. There is a strong sense of historical period, and of women's place in society at that time, and wonderful descriptions of the countryside.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SEDGWICK, MARCUS WHITE CROW
SEDGWICK, MARCUS WHITE CROW 
Two lives, two centuries apart, but obsessed by the same question: is there life after death? When city girl Rebecca arrives in the quiet village of Winterfold one relentlessly hot summer, her uneasy friendship with strange, elfin Ferelith sets in motion a shocking chain of events.

A dark and gruesome modern Gothic novel, with a compelling, and carefully crafted dual storyline that really builds the tension. The way in which the past and present interweave is brilliantly achieved, and there is a tremendous sense of place that is both creepy and oppressive.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WALLACE, JASON OUT OF SHADOWSWALLACE, JASON OUT OF SHADOWS

It is Zimbabwe in the 1980s. The civil war is over, independence has been won, and Robert Mugabe has come to power, offering hope, land and freedom to black Africans. For Robert Jacklin, it's all new too as he gets used to a new continent, a new country, a new school. But he is quickly forced to realise that for many of his fellow pupils, the battle for their old country rages on.

An extremely powerful novel with a totally believable main character whose moral development and emotional state are compellingly portrayed. The institutionalised brutality of school life is grippingly conveyed too, and the dialogue is always convincing. It makes the reader feel complicit, leading us to question how we would behave in similar circumstances.



My thoughts on the shortlist

The only book I've read on the shortlist is Out Of Shadows by Jason Wallace, which I reviewed here in January. It was very hard hitting and powerful but it wasn't the sort of book you could enjoy. However, I love the look of the Prisoner Of The Inquisition because I really enjoyed Theresa Breslin's book Remembrance and this one is historical fiction too. The cover is gorgeous! I took The Bride's Farewell out of the library on Friday and the chapter that I read was good. I'm not really sure the other books are my kind of thing but I might try White Crow because the author Marcus Sedgewick is visiting my school in May.

Have you read any of these books?

6 comments:

  1. Oh dear, I haven't read any of these! The cover of Prisoner of the Inquisition is quite beautiful though. I'll have to go work out where I've heard the author's name before...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a good list. I've heard good things from all those titles.
    Personally, I think Monsters of Men - Patrick Ness should win. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only one I've read is Monsters of Men but is was EXCELLENT! (Really deserves capital letters!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Monsters of Men should win-its only fair after he's been shortlisted twice.
    Do you know exactly when Sedgewick's visiting?
    That Prisoners of the Inquisition has a much prettier cover than the hardback I picked up once...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to participate in this when I was in England as I went to my schools library club ((Book club)) This was such a fun event! I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read any of these. The top book about the Inquisition looks really interesting though.

    - Meg
    A Bookish Affair

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, they make me smile! So thank you for taking the time to write one, I read all of them.
I try my best to reply here or on your blog :)

Stephanie x