Wednesday 13 April 2011

Coverlicious: In The Shadow Of The Lamp by Susanne Dunlap

Coverlicious is a regular feature her on the blog featuring everything to do with covers from covers I love to lookalike covers.

This post is part of a series of posts to celebrate the release of In The Shadow Of The Lamp by Susanne Dunlap and I'm featuring the cover today.


Goodreads description

'It's 1854 and sixteen-year-old Molly would give anything to change her circumstances as a lowly servant in a posh London house. So when she hears of an opportunity to join the nurses who will be traveling with Florence Nightingale to the Crimea, she jumps at the chance. The work is grueling, the hospital conditions deplorable, and Miss Nightingale a demanding teacher. Before long, the plight of British soldiers becomes more than just a mission of mercy as Molly finds that she's falling in love with both a dashing young doctor and a soldier who has joined the army to be near her. But with the battle raging ever nearer, can Molly keep the two men she cares for from harm? A love story to savor, and a fascinating behind-the-scenes imagining of the woman who became known as "the lady with the lamp."

I was lucky enough to win a giveaway on Dunlap's Facebook page for an ARC of In The Shadow Of The Lamp in September and the first thing I thought when I opened the precious package was how beautiful the cover is. I love it! It's perfect for the book with the MC Molly Fraser's auburn curly hair spilling out of her bun (that little escaped curl is cute!) and the lamp symbolic of Florence Nightingale glowing in the background. I like the way that the title isn't too big to detract away from the rest of the cover and the swirly writing, which is always a win. Usually, I like there to be pretty swirls on covers but I think this would have spoiled the effect of this cover.The way the model is positioned also works really well because she is looking down demurely and it made me wonder what she is thinking or about to do. I'm so glad that Bloombsury decided to keep the published cover the same as the ARC cover.

If you're intrigued by the pretty cover and the premise too, you might like to read my review or order a copy off Amazon!

What do you think of this cover?


 

1 comment:

  1. There's something about this cover that really grabs me. I like the lighting and how her face is turned away. It also has the pretty hair and costume thing going for it :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, they make me smile! So thank you for taking the time to write one, I read all of them.
I try my best to reply here or on your blog :)

Stephanie x